1/12/09

Monday's Muse - Words & Worlds

Keep thinking today about maps, globes & poetry.




I've always been fascinated by all things travel related. Globes, maps, steamer trunks, stamps, passports, the list goes on & on....When I was a kid I'd waste hours imagining what was happening right then on the other side of the world. Now you can just pop onto the web & find out. I will confess to bookmarking webcams in Venice, Rome & other spots so that I can escape at a moments notice. If you get the urge to see what's going on, there's a lot of live images "out there". One good place to start is earthcam.com

A couple of days ago the wonderful collage artist Nancy Lefko mentioned sending her latest custom pieces to Sweden. She writes in her blog "It is always fun for me to think that my art will visit countries that I probably will never see myself. The internet has, in many ways, made the world quite small." (Please stop by her blog & etsy shop if you get a chance, you'll be glad you did)

I have to agree. There is something very cool about sending an item you've made out into the world. I just sent Cognition Girl off to Norway And an ACEO went off to Ireland last month. Any sale is a good sale but there is just something extra special about those international collectors. Perhaps it is the idea of connecting, even for a moment with someone so very far away.

To escape the hectic & mundane, I've been traveling through time as well around the globe. (gotta love the internet) Spent a while with Christina Rosetti and Charles Cayle before returning to the day's madness.

Despite the eloquent phrases I absorbed today, I seem to be stumbling here...Heck, I've rambled so much I see it's now 12:38 on "Random Tuesday". Since my brain is mush, I'll end this chatter and leave you with a thought from Ralph Waldo Emerson :

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.

2 comments:

  1. Some of my "art" dolls have gone to Australia, Russia and Iceland of all places!! What fun!! Glad you are a world traveler too!!
    "Taking with us time to see
    the world as it ought to be!
    Running, walking; pausing to breath
    our fragile lives are so inter weaved.
    Take care to cherish the places you've seen.
    And you will visit them again in your dreams."
    poem by SueAnn
    2009

    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry I missed visiting you on Monday...we have company so my computer time has been limited. Thanks for participating again!

    ReplyDelete